- About Us
- The Acts
- The Commissioner and Team
- Our Vision and Mandate
- IPC Strategic Priorities 2021-2025 – Final Report
- Privacy and Transparency in a Modern Government
- Children and Youth in a Digital World
- Next-Generation Law Enforcement
- Trust in Digital Health
- Annual Report
- Policy Consultations
- Scholar in Residence
- Join Our Team!
- IPC Expenses
- Contact Us
THE PURPOSES OF THE ACTS
The purposes of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act are:
a) To provide a right of access to information under the control of government organizations in accordance with the following principles:
- information should be available to the public;
- exemptions to the right of access should be limited and specific;
- decisions on the disclosure of government information may be reviewed by the Information and Privacy Commissioner.
b) To protect personal information held by government organizations and to provide individuals with a right of access to their own personal information.
The purposes of the Personal Health Information Protection Act are:
To protect the confidentiality of personal health information in the custody or control of health information custodians and to provide individuals with a right of access to their own personal health information and the right to seek correction of such information, with limited exceptions.
Part X of the Child, Youth and Family Services Act:
Protects the confidentiality of personal information in the custody or control of service providers who are funded or licensed under the Child, Youth and Family Services Act and provides individuals with the right to access their own personal information or make corrections to it, with limited exceptions.
The Anti-Racism Act:
Authorizes or requires public sector organizations listed under the regulations to collect and use personal information for the purpose of eliminating systemic racism and advancing racial equity, and sets out privacy obligations to protect that personal information.
THE FREEDOM OF INFORMATION AND PROTECTION OF PRIVACY ACT
- The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
- Disposal of Personal Information – R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 459
- General – R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 460
THE MUNICIPAL FREEDOM OF INFORMATION AND PROTECTION OF PRIVACY ACT
- The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
- General – R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 823
- Institutions – O. Reg. 372/91
THE PERSONAL HEALTH INFORMATION PROTECTION ACT
- The Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004, S.O. 2004, c. 3 Sched. A
- General – O. Reg. 329/04
THE CHILD, YOUTH AND FAMILY SERVICES ACT
THE ANTI-RACISM ACT
This post is also available in: French