- Report a Privacy Breach
- Your Health Privacy Rights in Ontario
- Requesting Your Personal Health Information
- Correcting Your Personal Health Information
- Consent and Your Personal Health Information
- What You Need to Know About Your Health Card
- Accessing the Personal Health Information of a Deceased Relative
- PHIPA Code of Procedure
PHIPA Code of Procedure
The IPC has published a code of procedure that describes how we process matters under the Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004 (PHIPA). Parties to matters before our office should be familiar with the procedures set out in this code and in the accompanying practice directions.
CODE OF PROCEDURE
- Code of Procedure for Matters under the Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004
This comprehensive code replaces the IPC’s previous “Code of Procedure for Access and Correction Complaints under the Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004,” and applies to all matters arising under PHIPA.
PHIPA PRACTICE DIRECTIONS
- Practice Direction 1: Clarifying Access Requests
This practice direction reminds health information custodians (custodians) of the legislative requirements to clarify access requests. It emphasizes that clarification will make things easier for custodians, requesters, complainants and the IPC.
- Practice Direction 2: Responding to a Request for Access to Personal Health Information
A custodian must respond within 30 calendar days of receiving an access request for personal health information under PHIPA. However, the custodian may extend this time limit for a further period of not more than 30 calendar days if the requirements set out in section 54(3) and (4) of PHIPA are satisfied.
- Practice Direction 3: Publicly Released Decisions under the Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004
This practice direction describes when the IPC will make a PHIPA Decision available to the public and which parties will be identified by name in that public Decision.
- Practice Direction 4: Access/Correction Complaint Form
A complaint about a request for access to, or correction of, a record of personal health information under PHIPA may be made by sending a completed form to the IPC Registrar. The Access/Correction Complaint Form is attached to this practice direction.
- Practice Direction 5: Collection, Use, and Disclosure Complaint Form
A complaint about a contravention, or potential contravention, of PHIPA, (other than an Access/Correction complaint) may be made by sending a completed form to the IPC Registrar. The Collection, Use, and Disclosure Complaint Form is attached to this practice direction.
For a summary of the IPC’s processes under the Personal Health Information Protection Act, see PHIPA Complaint Process.
Feb 28 2017
Feb 28 2017
Feb 28 2017