Institutions under FIPPA and MFIPPA are permitted to charge fees for handling requests to access government records.
Today, the IPC released an updated guidance document, Fees, Fee Estimates and Fee Waivers. A number of important orders and court decisions have been issued since the guide was first published in 2003. The updated guide explains:
• factors to consider when calculating fees
• how to provide a reasonable fee estimate and interim decision
• how interim access decisions affect timelines
• what decisions may be appealed
• how a fee waiver is determined
This post is also available in: French