Our frequently asked questions on health cards and health numbers clarify who may collect, use or disclose health numbers for health care purposes, as well as the use of health cards as a proof of identity. The guidance covers:
- Who may require individuals to produce their health cards?
- Who may collect, use or disclose health numbers and under what circumstances?
- Who may ask individuals to provide their health cards or health numbers?
- Can health cards serve as proof of identity?
- What should you consider before asking individuals to provide a health card or health number?
Originally published November 2004.