- Download the Guide
- Ontario’s Access and Privacy Legislation
Collecting personal information
- Are school boards limited in the amount or kind of personal information they may collect?
- Does a school board need consent to collect personal information about a student?
- When can a school board collect personal information indirectly?
- Does a school board need to give notice that it is collecting personal information?
- What are the rules for collecting, using, disclosing and requiring the production of Ontario Education Numbers?
- Using and disclosing personal information
- Consent to collect, use and disclose personal information
- Safeguarding and retaining information
Access to information
- How do students and parents access personal information?
- Do individuals have a right to access general records from a school board?
- Do students need to reach a certain age before they can exercise their access rights?
- How does a child’s age affect the parent’s right of access to personal information?
- Do non-custodial parents have a right to access a child’s school records?
- Correction of Personal Information
- Special Topics
Download the Guide
A Guide to Privacy and Access in Ontario Schools (PDF)
- Protecting Your Students’ Privacy Online (Fact Sheet) (PDF)
- Privacy and Access to Information in Ontario Schools: A Guide for Educators (Fact Sheet) (PDF)
- Privacy in the School (Fact Sheet) (PDF)
- Your Child’s Privacy in School (Fact Sheet) (PDF)
This post is also available in: French