- Privacy complaints
- Protecting personal information
- Managing breaches
- Collection, use, and disclosure of personal information
- Data and technology management
- Digital Privacy Charter for Ontario Schools
Digital Privacy Charter for Ontario Schools
Ontario schools have an essential role in preparing young people to be safe and responsible digital citizens and empowering them to exercise their privacy and access rights.
The emergence of the internet, smartphones, cloud-based platforms, social media, and artificial intelligence have created many new risks in the digital landscape.
Recognizing this, the IPC has developed a draft Digital Privacy Charter for Ontario Schools in consultation with educators, educational institutions, and youth and parent advocates.
The charter consists of twelve high-level commitments that codify current and emerging best practices, many of which are grounded in statutory requirements under the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
They are intended to support students in the digital environment by:
- promoting strong privacy protections in digital education tools and services used by schools
- encouraging ongoing learning about privacy in the digital environment
- empowering students to understand and exercise their privacy and access rights
While the charter commitments are voluntary, by officially agreeing to adopt the digital privacy charter, school boards across Ontario will demonstrate a strong, province-wide promise to protect our students’ digital privacy, support accountability and transparency, and strengthen trust in Ontario’s schools.
We welcome you to provide your feedback on the draft Digital Privacy Charter for Ontario Schools by completing our survey.
Do you have questions about the charter? Are you a school board official who would like to be an early adopter of the charter at your school? Contact us at [email protected].
- Teach kids about privacy with the IPC’s Privacy Pursuit! lesson plans
- Digital Privacy Charter for Ontario Schools (printable)
- Digital Privacy Charter for Ontario Schools (poster size)
This post is also available in: French