Can I ask a service provider to correct personal information in my file?

If you receive, or have received, a service under the Child, Youth and Family Services Act (CYFSA), then, yes, you have the right to request a correction of your personal information in a record you have been given access to. If someone else can make decisions about your personal information, such as a substitute decision-maker, they can ask to make a correction to your personal information on your behalf.

In your request, tell your service provider what is wrong or missing and give them the information needed to fix the error.

Your service provider does not have to correct your record if they did not create it and don’t have the knowledge or authority to make the change. They may also refuse to correct your record if it includes a professional opinion or observation made in good faith.

Learn more about your correction rights in the IPC’s It’s About You brochure.

Help us improve our website. Was this page helpful?
When information is not found


  • You will not receive a direct reply. For further enquiries, please contact us at @email
  • Do not include any personal information, such as your name, social insurance number (SIN), home or business address, any case or files numbers or any personal health information.
  • For more information about this tool, please see our Privacy Policy.