How do I get consent?

Child and family service providers must get consent before collecting, using or disclosing personal information — except in certain cases permitted by the act.

Consent to collect, use or disclose personal information must:

  • be given by the individual — or their substitute decision-maker
  • be given freely and voluntarily
  • relate to the information that you are collecting, using or disclosing
  • be knowledgeable

Consent may be received in writing, for example through a signed consent form. You can also get consent orally – such as over the phone ­­– but only if you make a written record of it.

Learn more about consent

Help us improve our website. Was this page helpful?
When information is not found


  • You will not receive a direct reply. For further enquiries, please contact us at @email
  • Do not include any personal information, such as your name, social insurance number (SIN), home or business address, any case or files numbers or any personal health information.
  • For more information about this tool, please see our Privacy Policy.