How is Part X enforced?

The Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner provides oversight of Ontario’s access and privacy laws, including Part X of the CYFSA.

Any person can file a written complaint with the IPC if they believe another person has or is about to contravene Part X. The IPC promotes informal and early resolution of complaints wherever possible, and often does this through mediation.

If a complaint is not resolved at an early stage, the IPC may decide to conduct a formal review.

The IPC has the power to make orders — for example, it may order a service provider to grant an individual access to their record. The IPC’s orders and decisions are publicly available on our website.

Learn more about the the role of the IPC under Ontario’s child and family services law.

Help us improve our website. Was this page helpful?
When information is not found


  • You will not receive a direct reply. For further enquiries, please contact us at @email
  • Do not include any personal information, such as your name, social insurance number (SIN), home or business address, any case or files numbers or any personal health information.
  • For more information about this tool, please see our Privacy Policy.