What happens if I request a correction to my personal information and my service provider cannot or will not make the correction?

If your service provider cannot or will not correct your record, they must tell you why in writing. They also must let you add a written statement to your file that describes why you believe the information is wrong.

If your service provider does not make the changes you’ve asked for, contact them to see if they can work with you to find a solution. If you are still having problems, you or your substitute decision-maker can make a complaint to the IPC. Your complaint must be filed with our office within six months after your service provider denies your request or does not respond to it.

Learn more about your correction rights in the IPC’s It’s About You brochure.

Help us improve our website. Was this page helpful?
When information is not found


  • You will not receive a direct reply. For further enquiries, please contact us at @email
  • Do not include any personal information, such as your name, social insurance number (SIN), home or business address, any case or files numbers or any personal health information.
  • For more information about this tool, please see our Privacy Policy.