File a privacy complaint under Ontario’s child and family services law

Your Information
Are you:
Substitute decision-maker information
If you are a substitute decision-maker (such as a parent or guardian) making a complaint on behalf of someone else, please describe your role and explain your relationship. It may be necessary to provide documentation to prove you are authorized to act for the individual. Please attach this documentation if you have it at the end of this form.
Skip this section if you are not a substitute decision-maker.
Representative Information
Representative is a:

Skip this section if you do not have a representative.

You may represent yourself in a complaint to the IPC, or have someone else (such as a lawyer or another person) represent you.

If someone is representing you, and you authorize that person to act on your behalf, and you consent to the IPC to contacting them (including through email) and exchanging information about this complaint, please fill out the contact information below.

Information about person or organization your complaint relates to
For example, your complaint may relate to a “service provider” organization such as a children’s aid society or a group home, or an individual. 
Sharing your information

We would like to share your complaint with the service provider you have complained about, so the service provider understands the reasons for your complaint and the IPC can process your complaint.

By filing this complaint, you consent to share your name, this complaint form, and all attachments provided with this complaint form to all of the parties to this complaint (including the service provider).

If you do not consent to share your complaint information, please explain why below. We will consider whether we can properly address your complaint without sharing this information.

Details of your complaint
Please select all the boxes that explain why you are making the complaint:

Do you have a suggestion about how your complaint could be resolved?

In certain circumstances, the IPC will make an order to resolve a complaint. However, it is important to note that most complaints before the IPC are resolved informally and do not result in an order. The IPC can order a service provider to grant access to requested records, order a service provider to respond to an access request, etc.

The IPC cannot order disciplinary measures against employees of the service provider you are complaining about (such as requiring the service provider to fire an employee) or order it to pay you financial compensation (money).

One file only.
100 MB limit.
Allowed types: gif, jpg, png, bmp, eps, tif, pict, psd, txt, rtf, html, odf, pdf, doc, docx, ppt, pptx, xls, xlsx, xml, avi, mov, mp3, ogg, wav, bz2, dmg, gz, jar, rar, sit, svg, tar, zip.
Please attach any documents about your complaint.

Option 1

Send this form now.

Option 2

Print the form and email to @email or mail to:

Information and Privacy Commissioner/Ontario
1400-2 Bloor Street East
Toronto, Ontario
M4W 1A8

What happens next? Someone from our intake team will contact you to discuss your complaint.

Find out more about the complaint process.
You can also contact our office by email at [email protected], by phone at 416-326-3333, toll-free at 1-800-387-0073 if you have questions.

Help us improve our website. Was this page helpful?
When information is not found


  • You will not receive a direct reply. For further enquiries, please contact us at @email
  • Do not include any personal information, such as your name, social insurance number (SIN), home or business address, any case or files numbers or any personal health information.
  • For more information about this tool, please see our Privacy Policy.