If you think that your personal information has been improperly collected, used, or disclosed by a public institution, child and family service provider, or by a health sector organization or practitioner, you have the right to file a complaint with our office.

You can also file a complaint with our office if you request access to or correction of your personal information and your request is denied.

Where should I start?

Call, write, or visit the organization directly and tell them your concerns. In most cases, the organization will be able to work with you to resolve the issue. If you are not satisfied with the response, you can file a complaint with our office.

What can the IPC do about my complaint?

The IPC can help you resolve the problem with the institution or service provider. If, after reviewing the complaint, the IPC decides to process a complaint and then establishes that the organization did not comply with Ontario's access and privacy laws, we can make recommendations to the institution to prevent it from happening again.

With limited exceptions, the IPC does not have the power, under Ontario’s provincial and municipal privacy laws, to make an order against an institution related to a privacy complaint. It cannot issue fines, award damages or require that an institution discipline its staff members.

When investigating a complaint under Ontario’s child, youth and family services law, and health privacy law, the IPC has the power to issue orders, or “decisions.” IPC decisions are binding and require organizations to take certain actions to comply with the law.

Find out more about health privacy investigations.

How do I file a complaint?

You can either fill out and submit our online form, or print the form and send it to our office. The IPC Registrar will open a complaint file and assign an analyst to look into your complaint.

Forms should be sent to:

Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario
2 Bloor Street East,
Suite 1400
Toronto, ON  M4W 1A8

I have a complaint about how my personal health information is being handled.

I have a complaint about how my personal information is being handled by a child and family service provider.

Can I appoint someone to act on my behalf?

To appoint another person to act on your behalf during the complaint process, fill out the form Authorization to Act as an Agent for Privacy Complaint. You can attach it to the online form or include it when you mail your complaint form.

You do not need a form if a lawyer is representing you. However, you do not need a lawyer to proceed with your complaint.

What happens after I file a complaint?

We will review your complaint and take steps to resolve it. We may:

  • call you to clarify your concern and to talk about what has happened in similar cases
  • review your complaint and work with you and the organization to resolve the issue

We may also:

  • open an investigation to look into your complaint further
  • in health privacy complaints, conduct a formal review
Is there a specific timeline for my complaint to be resolved?

No, every complaint is different, and the time needed to process the complaint can vary. Access to personal information complaints that are routed to our expedited process team may be resolved sooner.

What do I do if a private company is mishandling my personal information?

If you have privacy concerns regarding information held by the federal government or private sector institutions, please contact the office of the Federal Privacy Commissioner.


File a Complaint Now

Help us improve our website. Was this page helpful?
When information is not found


  • You will not receive a direct reply. For further enquiries, please contact us at @email
  • Do not include any personal information, such as your name, social insurance number (SIN), home or business address, any case or files numbers or any personal health information.
  • For more information about this tool, please see our Privacy Policy.